Skip to main content

Kraven

What in the blue hell? Sony has just been scraping the bottom of the barrel to meet the requirements to keep the Spider-Man properties. No one in their right mind would want a Kraven movie, but here we are. Down is up, up is down. 

I've said this before, I'm kind of a movie mascochist. No one makes me do this. I do this to myself. After enduring Madame Web, I had to move on down the list to this movie. It is everything I thought it was. A stupid movie, but there's something more at work here. Lemme get into it.

  • I feel for the lead star, Aaron Taylor-Johnson. He clearly bulked up for the role and really thought it was going to be something special. This movie is not going to help his case. He's fine, but this is a dumb movie and you're the face of it, bro.
  • Remember how I said you can tell Aaron bulked up? Yeah, he walks around like a guy that just did arm day at the gym. The way he poses and all his action scenes are there to show off his work. Good job, my guy.
  • Do you also remember when Russel Crowe was somebody? Hard to tell with this movie. Can't fault him for picking up a check. To be fair, he did to the last Thor movie. Bet the check for that one was bigger than this?
  • I know Ariana Debose is better than this. Hard to tell from this movie. I know the script is terrible, but you gotta make lemons out of lemonade. She did not do that at all.
  • Some of the hand to hand fight stuff was cool, but by and large, the action was very ridiculous. Very clear wire work that was amateurish. I don't need to see ol' boy "jumping" around like an animal. 
  • Kraven got his powers from some magical potion, but they went out of their way to show a lion's blood dripping into his open wound...for what? He's now part lion? Get outta here. The origin is already ridiculous. This is like putting a hat on a hat.
  • They name drop Miles Warren. Us comic nerds know him as the Jackyl. The guy that made the Spider Clones and other convient sciencey nonsense for bad guys. This is important for the rest of my critique. 
  • Comic books are great because you can have goofy ass characters and don't have to explain everything. Then filming geniuses want to take those characters and make them more realistic, in turn making them completely stupid. So in this movie we had "Rhino". He looks stupid visually, they save the money shot of him to the end and it's still ridiculous. This movie does not need him. Oh, he was given his powers by Miles Warren.
  • They were a little more subtle with Kraven's brother, Dimitri. As I was watching, I was like, "Wait, are they doing The Chameleon?". He kept having dialogue saying he always just blends into the background, it's what he's best at. He even specifically says he's like a Chameleon, hitting the nerds over the head with a hammer, like we couldn't pick up what was happening. At the end of the movie (spoiler!) he becomes the next big bad and can now shape shift. Where did he get these powers? Miles Warren.
  • Because this movie wants to stuff in as many C-Tier Spider-Man characters as they can, we also get a bad guy named, the Foriegner. He's a blink and you miss it bad guy, but in this movie he gets a glow up. He has mind control or something. They present his powers weird and I don't care to do any research. Maybe he also got his powers from Miles Warren, but I don't care to double check that. Ultimately, he means nothing in the grand scheme of the movie.
  • The whole movie is set up to serve the iconic "Kraven sitting in a chair" shot. It felt like they were checking the box, as it serves ZERO purpose.
This movie is as terrible as you think it is. I say this movie is worse than Madame Web only because it tries so much harder. Madame Web was lazy and didn't give two shits about what you thought. This movie is trying really hard to impress you and in doing so, fails miserably. Look at my cool action scenes, bro! Nah, I'm good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zack Snyder's Justice League

The moment has come that some had clamored for. The moment I never wanted to see happen. Let me start by saying this. I don't like that this exists because it validates all the toxic fan boys, angry over how Justice League turned out, who cried out for the Snyder's original vision of his movie. I hate that public pressure made this happen. If only people like this would use their power for good. How about more representation? How about better story telling? No, give me that thing that I don't have because I'm going to bully you for it. I love comics, but the community surrounding them can be very toxic and I hate that. I feel like this movie is the manifestation of that. Clearly I have a lot of feelings before even coming into this movie. I will try to be as objective as possible, but remember, these are my opinions and I will feel what I feel. To prep me, I took the crazy step of re-watching the theatrical release of this movie first, so I can have something to compare...

The Batman

When I heard this movie was announced a few years ago, I rolled my eyes pretty hard. Here we are with yet ANOTHER Batman movie. We were starting to get diminishing returns with this franchise. I get that they want to keep trying to make money, but maybe we need to let Batman take a rest. Then I watched this movie and I take it all back. I only saw this a week ago, so I'm still in hot take mode, but this is EASILY one of the best Batman movies I have ever seen. Right now, I have Dark Knight first, this movie second and the 1989 Batman movie coming in at number 3. There are just so many things this movie does right. It is almost a master class in how you juggle multiple villains. We also get to see Batman be, *GASP* a detective and try to solve a crime. Not in the ham fisted ways that we've seen in the past either.  In no particular order, let me talk about what I loved about this movie. First of all, we don't have to get an origin story about Bruce Wayne/Batman. It's a s...

The Inevitable Best and Worst List of 2020 - Part I

I think we can all agree that 2020 has been a crap year. I don't think I have anything else to say that could more accurately capture that. Instead of focusing on all of that, let's get to my Best and Worst List of 2020. There was a pause in the comic industry at the beginning of the pandemic and then things picked back up. So even in the industry it was unprecedented. In trying to think back on this year with my old man brain, I will try to summon up my memories to capture them here. I do know that my reading of Marvel Comics has continued to go up, while the number of DC titles have diminished to only really sticking with the Trinity of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. Outside of Far Sector by N.K. Jemisin, I'm out of DC for now. I continue to read more and more independent comics from the other companies such as Image, IDW, Boom!Studios, TKO Studios etc. I even found myself funding a number of Kickstarter projects this year to support black creators. This year, I even ...