Skip to main content

Wolverine: The Long Night


At the suggestion of a friend, I downloaded "Wolverine: The Long Night" from iTunes. Although billed as a "podcast", this was like an old school radio drama.

To be honest, I didn't know what to expect. After getting through all ten episodes, each averaging about thirty minutes a piece, I can give an honest opinion.

I was surprised at how much I liked it. It is a very well produced radio drama. It has moody music in the right places, it has good sound design in that they mimic when people are across the room and good sound effects.

I thought the setting of Alaska was a perfect backdrop for this particular story. Wolverine in the wilderness or being that stranger in a sleepy town is definitely on brand. He is the guy that is trying to mind his own business, but gets drawn into events because he is a hero.

I also liked the methodical pace of the story telling and the mystery that unfolded. It wasn't too fantastical and none of the other X-Men make an appearance here.

For the most part, I thought the cast was very good. The only person I had a problem with was Richard Armitage as Logan/Wolverine. I understand that you wanted to get a name, but he was not the right fit at all. Years of X-Men cartoons, video games, etc. have me prepared to accept a different voice (Steve Blum) for Wolverine. He should be gruff. Armitage tried, but he does not pull it off. Instead, he just comes off sounding like a dude. If it wasn't for people addressing him as Logan, within the dialogue, I would not have been able to pick out his voice from everyone else.

Hugh Jackman was able to pull it off, but Armitage could not. It's disheartening when the star of the radio play is the one you like the least.

Maybe his time was expensive, so he really doesn't have a whole lot of lines. You barely get much out of him in the first half of this story.

I'm glad I gave this a shot. It was well worth my time and I would recommend it to anyone else that wanted to have something on while they drive. You better believe I'm counting it as a book that was read on Good Reads!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zack Snyder's Justice League

The moment has come that some had clamored for. The moment I never wanted to see happen. Let me start by saying this. I don't like that this exists because it validates all the toxic fan boys, angry over how Justice League turned out, who cried out for the Snyder's original vision of his movie. I hate that public pressure made this happen. If only people like this would use their power for good. How about more representation? How about better story telling? No, give me that thing that I don't have because I'm going to bully you for it. I love comics, but the community surrounding them can be very toxic and I hate that. I feel like this movie is the manifestation of that. Clearly I have a lot of feelings before even coming into this movie. I will try to be as objective as possible, but remember, these are my opinions and I will feel what I feel. To prep me, I took the crazy step of re-watching the theatrical release of this movie first, so I can have something to compare...

The Batman

When I heard this movie was announced a few years ago, I rolled my eyes pretty hard. Here we are with yet ANOTHER Batman movie. We were starting to get diminishing returns with this franchise. I get that they want to keep trying to make money, but maybe we need to let Batman take a rest. Then I watched this movie and I take it all back. I only saw this a week ago, so I'm still in hot take mode, but this is EASILY one of the best Batman movies I have ever seen. Right now, I have Dark Knight first, this movie second and the 1989 Batman movie coming in at number 3. There are just so many things this movie does right. It is almost a master class in how you juggle multiple villains. We also get to see Batman be, *GASP* a detective and try to solve a crime. Not in the ham fisted ways that we've seen in the past either.  In no particular order, let me talk about what I loved about this movie. First of all, we don't have to get an origin story about Bruce Wayne/Batman. It's a s...

The Inevitable Best and Worst List of 2020 - Part I

I think we can all agree that 2020 has been a crap year. I don't think I have anything else to say that could more accurately capture that. Instead of focusing on all of that, let's get to my Best and Worst List of 2020. There was a pause in the comic industry at the beginning of the pandemic and then things picked back up. So even in the industry it was unprecedented. In trying to think back on this year with my old man brain, I will try to summon up my memories to capture them here. I do know that my reading of Marvel Comics has continued to go up, while the number of DC titles have diminished to only really sticking with the Trinity of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. Outside of Far Sector by N.K. Jemisin, I'm out of DC for now. I continue to read more and more independent comics from the other companies such as Image, IDW, Boom!Studios, TKO Studios etc. I even found myself funding a number of Kickstarter projects this year to support black creators. This year, I even ...