Skip to main content

Supergirl

Oh no. Another female super hero action movie. If you know the internet at all, the usual, lazy ass backlash of calling this film woke arrived just on time. Ignore all of that.

I thought this movie was pretty good. A solid B+. I did enjoy it and I had very few issues. Per my usual, here's my lazy, bulleted format:

  • Milly Alcock I think is the perfect choice for this newly rebooted Supergirl. She was able to carry off the whole hero arc her character HAS to go through in the movie.
  • I liked the smart way they nerf her powers. Super people (her and Superman) are overpowered, so by having her traveling the galaxy that have different suns, you get to see the effect it has on her. Did the story dictate this? Yes. But also, it helped to show how she can be heroic without powers.
  • On the flip side, the villain is so one note. And that is OKAY. I don't need to be invested in the bad guy. He is an obstacle to get punched into oblivion later.
  • Normally I don't like kid sidekicks, but Ruthye was precocious and spunky in a way that was not oftputting. She helped Supergirl realize her journey, but also herself. Eve Ridley was wonderful in her portrayal.
  • I wish filmmakers would lay off the slow-mo nonsense for the action scenes in their movies. If I had a downside in this movie, it's when the action slowed down for this nonsense. Just show it straight up. And all the panning and zooming too. It's too much.
  • Slight spoiler and a specific problem I have. If you're going to have a character that has a specific costume and you feature it on the poster, maybe have them wear it before the climax of the movie. Jesus Christ.
  • Going back to the story, I Like how they portray how she deals with her grief and it makes a lot of sense.
  • I see that they are going to continue with the "Aw Shucks", corny version of Superman. That's fine for a while, but I hope they start to dial it back a little. He's had two movies and already, it's a lot. This has nothing to do with the actor in the role, it's how they are writing him.
  • Look, some people like Krypto. I don't and I'm glad to see he has a reduced role in this film. I don't want to say more than that.
  • I like the look of the various aliens in the movie. 
  • On the above note, I loved that this took place on not Earth, but didn't go too far with weird spacey stuff. It still felt grounded. Everything is treated with a matter of fact attitude and doesn't try to explain anything. Other than what sun circles the planet so you know.
  • I never read the maxi-series that Tom King and Bilquis Evely. It's a blindspot I have. It also means I didn't come in with any baggage in how they would adapt that story.
  • Jason Mamoa is basically Lobo, so this was perfect casting.
  • With THAT being said, I am deathly afraid they will take the wrong lesson from this movie. "People loved Lobo. Let's give him his own movie!" Hell to the no. He works as a chaos agent and nothing more. I do not give a shit about seeing him in a two hour long movie. Sometimes a spice works becasue you use a little in a dish, not make the whole dish about that one spice. Ya dig?
Do I recommend this movie? Yes I do. Not only because of the haters out there and I like to see them get the unhappiness they deserve, but because it is a fun movie. I wouldn't look more into it than that. I will finish with this closing thought. Since James Gunn has taken over, everything is FINE. I'm not in love with his vision yet, but at least he's choosing to not make everything dark and gritty and I can get behind that. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zack Snyder's Justice League

The moment has come that some had clamored for. The moment I never wanted to see happen. Let me start by saying this. I don't like that this exists because it validates all the toxic fan boys, angry over how Justice League turned out, who cried out for the Snyder's original vision of his movie. I hate that public pressure made this happen. If only people like this would use their power for good. How about more representation? How about better story telling? No, give me that thing that I don't have because I'm going to bully you for it. I love comics, but the community surrounding them can be very toxic and I hate that. I feel like this movie is the manifestation of that. Clearly I have a lot of feelings before even coming into this movie. I will try to be as objective as possible, but remember, these are my opinions and I will feel what I feel. To prep me, I took the crazy step of re-watching the theatrical release of this movie first, so I can have something to compare...

The Batman

When I heard this movie was announced a few years ago, I rolled my eyes pretty hard. Here we are with yet ANOTHER Batman movie. We were starting to get diminishing returns with this franchise. I get that they want to keep trying to make money, but maybe we need to let Batman take a rest. Then I watched this movie and I take it all back. I only saw this a week ago, so I'm still in hot take mode, but this is EASILY one of the best Batman movies I have ever seen. Right now, I have Dark Knight first, this movie second and the 1989 Batman movie coming in at number 3. There are just so many things this movie does right. It is almost a master class in how you juggle multiple villains. We also get to see Batman be, *GASP* a detective and try to solve a crime. Not in the ham fisted ways that we've seen in the past either.  In no particular order, let me talk about what I loved about this movie. First of all, we don't have to get an origin story about Bruce Wayne/Batman. It's a s...

The Inevitable Best and Worst List of 2020 - Part I

I think we can all agree that 2020 has been a crap year. I don't think I have anything else to say that could more accurately capture that. Instead of focusing on all of that, let's get to my Best and Worst List of 2020. There was a pause in the comic industry at the beginning of the pandemic and then things picked back up. So even in the industry it was unprecedented. In trying to think back on this year with my old man brain, I will try to summon up my memories to capture them here. I do know that my reading of Marvel Comics has continued to go up, while the number of DC titles have diminished to only really sticking with the Trinity of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. Outside of Far Sector by N.K. Jemisin, I'm out of DC for now. I continue to read more and more independent comics from the other companies such as Image, IDW, Boom!Studios, TKO Studios etc. I even found myself funding a number of Kickstarter projects this year to support black creators. This year, I even ...