Skip to main content

The Boys: Season 1


My apologies. I should have written this a few months ago when I actually finished the show. I would have had a much hotter take then. Since then, I've moved on with life, watched other shows and almost forgot I had watched this. Not in a bad way because I thought the show was very good.

What's funnier is that people really do have a read on me now. I had a lot of people asking if I watched this show (before I actually watched it) because it's about super heroes. Maybe I have been too transparent and need to pull back.

What a time we are living in when you can be a nerd out in the open and NOT get made fun of. This kind of stuff I would have had to keep to myself when I was younger.

Anyways, I digress. The Boys. Let's talk about it. I never read the comic book series it is based off of. I know OF it, but didn't care to read it. Back then, I was not ready for Garth Ennis or his various series that pushed the limits of what was explicit in comic books at the time. I was still deep into super heroes before I started to really branch out.

I say all that to let you know that other than a raunchy, adult take on super heroes, I did not know what to expect from this show.

Let's be clear for anyone that is wondering, this show is real dark. I think we are at the point now where we can have our light super hero movies and still have a place for a show like this. If anything, they toned down the original source material from what I understand.

Kudos to Amazon. They pushed this show and you can tell that there was some money behind it. Also, kudos to keeping the season to eight episodes. If you've read any of my other reviews, you will know I have turned on the idea of thirteen episode seasons. There is always padding. I love ten episodes, eight is even better. That means they have to get through their story and there is not enough time for filler. I never felt that this show was too slow or meandering. It is a very slow burn, sure, to get to the endpoint. However, they sprinkle in some pretty big moments throughout.

Part of me wants to think that some of the things that happen are for shock value, but as you go on, that is just part and parcel to the whole vibe of this show.

The casting was great all around. To me the stand outs are Karl Urban as Billy Butcher and Antony Starr as Homelander. Every scene with Homelander in it, knowing how powerful he is, you begin to wonder, is THIS the time where he completely loses it? The way he plays the character on that knife's edge, you don't know which way he is going to fall. Is he going to be merciful? Or he is about to kill someone? There was tension in every scene that he appears in.

I was completely engrossed in the story as I kept watching to see if it would get much worse for everyone involved. Would our "heroes" in this story be able to break through the conspiracy and take down the super heroes? Each person has an emphatic story so you begin to start rooting for your favorites, whoever they may be.

I tend to ramble on, so I am keeping this deliberately short. I will say the show ends on a great cliffhanger and I will definitely be around for season 2. If you haven't watched it yet and you have no problems with essentially a dark dramedy, give this show a shot.

Comments

  1. "If you've read any of my other reviews, you will know I have turned on the idea of thirteen episode seasons. There is always padding. I love ten episodes, eight is even better. That means they have to get through their story and there is not enough time for filler."
    I whole-heartedly agree with this. I much prefer tighter storylines, as long as it's not rushed. (Looking at you, Game of Thrones final season). Came here looking to see if I should give The Boys a try, the clips looked interesting, but sometimes ALL the that's interesting is in the clips. I'll give them a try!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Zack Snyder's Justice League

The moment has come that some had clamored for. The moment I never wanted to see happen. Let me start by saying this. I don't like that this exists because it validates all the toxic fan boys, angry over how Justice League turned out, who cried out for the Snyder's original vision of his movie. I hate that public pressure made this happen. If only people like this would use their power for good. How about more representation? How about better story telling? No, give me that thing that I don't have because I'm going to bully you for it. I love comics, but the community surrounding them can be very toxic and I hate that. I feel like this movie is the manifestation of that. Clearly I have a lot of feelings before even coming into this movie. I will try to be as objective as possible, but remember, these are my opinions and I will feel what I feel. To prep me, I took the crazy step of re-watching the theatrical release of this movie first, so I can have something to compare...

The Batman

When I heard this movie was announced a few years ago, I rolled my eyes pretty hard. Here we are with yet ANOTHER Batman movie. We were starting to get diminishing returns with this franchise. I get that they want to keep trying to make money, but maybe we need to let Batman take a rest. Then I watched this movie and I take it all back. I only saw this a week ago, so I'm still in hot take mode, but this is EASILY one of the best Batman movies I have ever seen. Right now, I have Dark Knight first, this movie second and the 1989 Batman movie coming in at number 3. There are just so many things this movie does right. It is almost a master class in how you juggle multiple villains. We also get to see Batman be, *GASP* a detective and try to solve a crime. Not in the ham fisted ways that we've seen in the past either.  In no particular order, let me talk about what I loved about this movie. First of all, we don't have to get an origin story about Bruce Wayne/Batman. It's a s...

The Inevitable Best and Worst List of 2020 - Part I

I think we can all agree that 2020 has been a crap year. I don't think I have anything else to say that could more accurately capture that. Instead of focusing on all of that, let's get to my Best and Worst List of 2020. There was a pause in the comic industry at the beginning of the pandemic and then things picked back up. So even in the industry it was unprecedented. In trying to think back on this year with my old man brain, I will try to summon up my memories to capture them here. I do know that my reading of Marvel Comics has continued to go up, while the number of DC titles have diminished to only really sticking with the Trinity of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. Outside of Far Sector by N.K. Jemisin, I'm out of DC for now. I continue to read more and more independent comics from the other companies such as Image, IDW, Boom!Studios, TKO Studios etc. I even found myself funding a number of Kickstarter projects this year to support black creators. This year, I even ...