Skip to main content

Cloak and Dagger: Season 2

Just when it seemed like we just had season 1 less than a year ago, along came season two of Cloak and Dagger. Since I already talked about this show before (Season 1), I won't sit here and bore you about how I'm a fan of the characters, blah blah blah. You've heard me do that enough on this blog. It won't stop me, but I won't bring that into THIS review.

So yeah, season two. I still love this show. As I've gotten older, I've gravitated more towards these YA type shows (Runaways, Riverdale, etc.) and I really don't know how I should feel about it. Oh, I know. I am comfortable in my own skin and I will like what I want! Ahem.

Ahem. As I thought about it, it's hard for me to explain why I like this show so much, but I'll try to explain. I really loved that they moved the characters from New York (in the comics), to New Orleans. It gives the chance to have a unique style to the Marvel shows in the same way that Runaways does.

This season, Tandy and Tyrone are now fully in control of their powers after the event of last season. I feel like the actors have grown into their roles in a good way. I love watching the interplay between Tandy and Tyrone and their friendship really grew in this season. Actually, it felt very natural and you could see they care for each other. I will admit that I have been shipping them pretty hard since the last season because they are together in the comics! With that aside, the way they have been built up here is why I've pushed it more.

The stakes are raised in this season as they face a villain that is even more supernatural than the last one. Gone is all the Roxxon mystery and all of that stuff. I say that to mean I'm thankful that we can move on. There is more focus on the voodoo side of New Orleans and the villains this time around and I am all about that. I find it fascinating.

I think the special effects are still pretty good in this show. They are not doing anything too fantastical, so everything feels grounded. The locales feel authentic and not just on a sound stage.

Also, we don't get a whole lot of new characters, outside of the main villain. We get to continue with our cast from the last season, so things keep from feeling too bloated.

At the end of the season, they appear to be running away to New York, so now they will truly be runaways and we can see this show start to slowly transition into what it is in the comics. I'm glad they have taken the journey to get them here and lose some of their silly comic book origins in the process.

If I had one comment to make, it's that these are teenagers and they are going around acting like adults, for the most part. They still clearly have issues with impulse control, so they are still kids in that respect.

Unlike some shows I watch (and ultimately drop), I was always looking forward to watching each episode of this show and I always got wrapped up in it. That's the mark of a keeper for this guy. Can't wait to see what they do in Season 3.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zack Snyder's Justice League

The moment has come that some had clamored for. The moment I never wanted to see happen. Let me start by saying this. I don't like that this exists because it validates all the toxic fan boys, angry over how Justice League turned out, who cried out for the Snyder's original vision of his movie. I hate that public pressure made this happen. If only people like this would use their power for good. How about more representation? How about better story telling? No, give me that thing that I don't have because I'm going to bully you for it. I love comics, but the community surrounding them can be very toxic and I hate that. I feel like this movie is the manifestation of that. Clearly I have a lot of feelings before even coming into this movie. I will try to be as objective as possible, but remember, these are my opinions and I will feel what I feel. To prep me, I took the crazy step of re-watching the theatrical release of this movie first, so I can have something to compare...

The Batman

When I heard this movie was announced a few years ago, I rolled my eyes pretty hard. Here we are with yet ANOTHER Batman movie. We were starting to get diminishing returns with this franchise. I get that they want to keep trying to make money, but maybe we need to let Batman take a rest. Then I watched this movie and I take it all back. I only saw this a week ago, so I'm still in hot take mode, but this is EASILY one of the best Batman movies I have ever seen. Right now, I have Dark Knight first, this movie second and the 1989 Batman movie coming in at number 3. There are just so many things this movie does right. It is almost a master class in how you juggle multiple villains. We also get to see Batman be, *GASP* a detective and try to solve a crime. Not in the ham fisted ways that we've seen in the past either.  In no particular order, let me talk about what I loved about this movie. First of all, we don't have to get an origin story about Bruce Wayne/Batman. It's a s...

The Inevitable Best and Worst List of 2020 - Part I

I think we can all agree that 2020 has been a crap year. I don't think I have anything else to say that could more accurately capture that. Instead of focusing on all of that, let's get to my Best and Worst List of 2020. There was a pause in the comic industry at the beginning of the pandemic and then things picked back up. So even in the industry it was unprecedented. In trying to think back on this year with my old man brain, I will try to summon up my memories to capture them here. I do know that my reading of Marvel Comics has continued to go up, while the number of DC titles have diminished to only really sticking with the Trinity of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. Outside of Far Sector by N.K. Jemisin, I'm out of DC for now. I continue to read more and more independent comics from the other companies such as Image, IDW, Boom!Studios, TKO Studios etc. I even found myself funding a number of Kickstarter projects this year to support black creators. This year, I even ...