Skip to main content

Secret Wars


I think it's time I finally took a moment to talk bout Marvel's Secret Wars event and all the subsequent spin off books.

Jonathan Hickman's Magnum Opus of his Marvel run is playing out before our eyes. All of his Avengers work (which honestly left me cold) has culminated up to this point. The Secret Wars series itself has been really good. It's been in the classic tradition of mixing up the characters into groups that you don't normally see. There have been truly shocking moments. The spinoff books however have been mostly terrible.

Here's the premise of this whole crossover in a nutshell. Reality has been destroyed by cosmic forces (isn't that always the way) and the Marvel Universe as we know it ceases to exist. Dr. Doom, who has become all powerful, saves bits and pieces of this reality and has cobbled it together into a place called "Battleworld" where he has affixed him self as a God.

This has given Marvel a chance to mine all of our childhoods by having many books focus on returns to various eras throughout their history. A clever ploy, but you're not going to get me, Marvel. I was burned by your LAST return to the "Age of Apocalypse" universe. I do not care how you want to play out your alternate realities of Civil War, Future Imperfect, Armor Wars, Infinity Gauntlet, Korvac Saga, X-Tinction Agenda and so on. Did I miss a few? Of course I did, but I'm not going to name all of them.

What bothers me is you have all these different realities cobbled together into one world. So basically you can have 20 Wolverines running around at the same time in this new world. Of course they never run into each other because each of these stupid stories are self-contained in this weird way. Honestly, the whole thing is an absolute mess.

The true gems out of this event have been "Master of Kung Fu", "Years of Future Past" and "Runaways". Oh yeah, I also have a soft spot in my heart for "X-Men 92'". Even IF it is a mish-mash of the Blue and Gold teams! Anyways, each of these books speak to some of my comic book sensibilities. I tried some of the others and just could not muster up the ability to care. There are just way too many of these books. It's this kind of cash grab that makes me very cynical as a fan.

Fortunately, as an educated consumer I don't have to buy all of these. I definitely don't feel compelled to. To summarize my thoughts in a nutshell: Secret Wars Mini-Series = good. Everything else = bad. I just want this to be all over so we can get to our All New Marvel Universe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zack Snyder's Justice League

The moment has come that some had clamored for. The moment I never wanted to see happen. Let me start by saying this. I don't like that this exists because it validates all the toxic fan boys, angry over how Justice League turned out, who cried out for the Snyder's original vision of his movie. I hate that public pressure made this happen. If only people like this would use their power for good. How about more representation? How about better story telling? No, give me that thing that I don't have because I'm going to bully you for it. I love comics, but the community surrounding them can be very toxic and I hate that. I feel like this movie is the manifestation of that. Clearly I have a lot of feelings before even coming into this movie. I will try to be as objective as possible, but remember, these are my opinions and I will feel what I feel. To prep me, I took the crazy step of re-watching the theatrical release of this movie first, so I can have something to compare...

The Batman

When I heard this movie was announced a few years ago, I rolled my eyes pretty hard. Here we are with yet ANOTHER Batman movie. We were starting to get diminishing returns with this franchise. I get that they want to keep trying to make money, but maybe we need to let Batman take a rest. Then I watched this movie and I take it all back. I only saw this a week ago, so I'm still in hot take mode, but this is EASILY one of the best Batman movies I have ever seen. Right now, I have Dark Knight first, this movie second and the 1989 Batman movie coming in at number 3. There are just so many things this movie does right. It is almost a master class in how you juggle multiple villains. We also get to see Batman be, *GASP* a detective and try to solve a crime. Not in the ham fisted ways that we've seen in the past either.  In no particular order, let me talk about what I loved about this movie. First of all, we don't have to get an origin story about Bruce Wayne/Batman. It's a s...

The Inevitable Best and Worst List of 2020 - Part I

I think we can all agree that 2020 has been a crap year. I don't think I have anything else to say that could more accurately capture that. Instead of focusing on all of that, let's get to my Best and Worst List of 2020. There was a pause in the comic industry at the beginning of the pandemic and then things picked back up. So even in the industry it was unprecedented. In trying to think back on this year with my old man brain, I will try to summon up my memories to capture them here. I do know that my reading of Marvel Comics has continued to go up, while the number of DC titles have diminished to only really sticking with the Trinity of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. Outside of Far Sector by N.K. Jemisin, I'm out of DC for now. I continue to read more and more independent comics from the other companies such as Image, IDW, Boom!Studios, TKO Studios etc. I even found myself funding a number of Kickstarter projects this year to support black creators. This year, I even ...