Skip to main content

Daredevil: Born Again - Season 2

I finished Daredevil: Born Again - Season 2 a few days ago and of course I have thoughts! You would expect nothing less.

Like season 1, I thought overall, this was pretty good. The show's action is brutal, but draws the line at being too cartoony (looking at you Punisher). Let's just get to my thoughts, in my lazier, bulleted format. I will have two longer thoughts at the end.

  • The show still looks like when the show was on Netflix, gritty and not overly stylized. I love that.
  • Loved seeing Jessica Jones show up
  • Karen Page finally has more to do.
  • So much tension in watching Kingpin's inner circle start to collapse in on itself
  • This show is extremely well acted.
  • To rephrase what I stated in the paragraph above, the fight choreography is easily the best in all Marvel projects (television). I didn't say all Marvel movies because Winter Soldier and Shang-Chi would like a word.
  • An unhinged Bullseye is a perfect, chaotic force in this season
  • With that being said, the physics of some of his attacks border on ridiculous
  • I liked the little moment in the courtroom scene where Fisk is testifying and speaks under his breath knowing only Matt Murdock can hear what he is saying. Very nice touch. 
  • I, for one, wish there was even MORE courtroom scenes. There were plenty, but I just like the legal battles they show and the drama that shows. Just like any flavor of Law and Order. 
For my longer thoughts, first I need to talk about Matt/Daredevil the character. His self-righteousness is extremely off putting. I know his rigidity is a character flaw, but in this show he needs to go with the flow of traffic, not at his own speed. Feels a lot like our politics. The landscape has changed, but you want to still play by old rules that don't exist anymore. A moral high ground isn't going to save lives.

When Matt has a choice to end Kingpin or Bullseye, he always chooses the righteous path, like they're going to suddenly switch sides. This is who the character is but it is exhausting. It's the same way they always play Captain America. Dude was literally in World War II and I'm sure he wasn't stopping Nazis with strong words. Daredevil is putting his beliefs above his closest allies and eventually that should cost him. 

My other long thought is I loved this season, but hated how the Kingpin arc resolves itself. Let's just say he kills a lot of people and is allowed to get exiled, but not put in jail. But Daredevil, for acting outside of the law as a vigilante, is thrown into a maximum security prison. The math ain't mathing.

I love the street level characters and I love that this show is tying into the Netflix series more than trying to jam that other MCU madness into it. It keeps this show grounded. Easily my favorite series of the Disney plus shows they've done. So glad they got season three coming!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zack Snyder's Justice League

The moment has come that some had clamored for. The moment I never wanted to see happen. Let me start by saying this. I don't like that this exists because it validates all the toxic fan boys, angry over how Justice League turned out, who cried out for the Snyder's original vision of his movie. I hate that public pressure made this happen. If only people like this would use their power for good. How about more representation? How about better story telling? No, give me that thing that I don't have because I'm going to bully you for it. I love comics, but the community surrounding them can be very toxic and I hate that. I feel like this movie is the manifestation of that. Clearly I have a lot of feelings before even coming into this movie. I will try to be as objective as possible, but remember, these are my opinions and I will feel what I feel. To prep me, I took the crazy step of re-watching the theatrical release of this movie first, so I can have something to compare...

The Batman

When I heard this movie was announced a few years ago, I rolled my eyes pretty hard. Here we are with yet ANOTHER Batman movie. We were starting to get diminishing returns with this franchise. I get that they want to keep trying to make money, but maybe we need to let Batman take a rest. Then I watched this movie and I take it all back. I only saw this a week ago, so I'm still in hot take mode, but this is EASILY one of the best Batman movies I have ever seen. Right now, I have Dark Knight first, this movie second and the 1989 Batman movie coming in at number 3. There are just so many things this movie does right. It is almost a master class in how you juggle multiple villains. We also get to see Batman be, *GASP* a detective and try to solve a crime. Not in the ham fisted ways that we've seen in the past either.  In no particular order, let me talk about what I loved about this movie. First of all, we don't have to get an origin story about Bruce Wayne/Batman. It's a s...

The Inevitable Best and Worst List of 2020 - Part I

I think we can all agree that 2020 has been a crap year. I don't think I have anything else to say that could more accurately capture that. Instead of focusing on all of that, let's get to my Best and Worst List of 2020. There was a pause in the comic industry at the beginning of the pandemic and then things picked back up. So even in the industry it was unprecedented. In trying to think back on this year with my old man brain, I will try to summon up my memories to capture them here. I do know that my reading of Marvel Comics has continued to go up, while the number of DC titles have diminished to only really sticking with the Trinity of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. Outside of Far Sector by N.K. Jemisin, I'm out of DC for now. I continue to read more and more independent comics from the other companies such as Image, IDW, Boom!Studios, TKO Studios etc. I even found myself funding a number of Kickstarter projects this year to support black creators. This year, I even ...