Skip to main content

Daredevil: Season 3


In the past, I would binge these Netflix Marvel shows in a weekend. As life has taken over, I have not been able to watch these at such a quick rate. Also, apparently, I take forever now to post about them!

This show has been out for months and I finished it a few weeks ago. What gives?? I'll do my best to share my thoughts in a coherent manner, but I make no promises. The best I can do is think about how I feel about this show after a couple of weeks.

Instead of making you wait till the end, I will tell you up front. I really loved this season. It made up for season 2, which I was not a fan of. This show took it back to basics for Matt Murdock. Don't get me wrong, I hate the "Woe is me" hero, but Matt has always been a tortured soul. We get to see him work his way back and I enjoyed watching that journey in the first few episodes after the events of the Defenders mini-series.

This season also made me realize that this show is at it's best when the central conflict is between Daredevil and the Kingpin. Watching how each of them make moves to get to the other is compelling television. This season, you get to see how far Wilson Fisk's corruption has permeated the city.

The best addition to this season was the additional characters of FBI Agents Nadeem and Poindexter. Even though it has been a few months, I don't want to give away the arcs of these characters. I will say that they get fully fleshed out and each leads to a conclusion.

I say all of this to add that I loved that Bullseye made his appearance in this show. He also makes for a great villain and he has a somewhat tragic backstory, but really, he is a complete psychopath.

The fight scenes between him and Daredevil are well choreographed and raw. Just like all the fight scenes in this show, which continue to be it's greatest strength. Seriously, they had some fantastic fight scenes in this season as well.

Going back to the characters real quick, I still like Foggy and Karen. However, I thought we got more of Karen's backstory than I really wanted. It helped provide context to events later on, but I don't think it was really necessary. I think they were just trying to give her something to do. At times, I feel like they don't know what they really want her to be. We also get to see Foggy do some stuff and show his value as well. The show is still full of superb actors and everyone does a great job.

I don't know if when this show was being made that they knew it was going to be the last season, but a lot of characters we have seen in all three seasons definitely make an appearance here. It's as if they wanted to make sure everyone gets sent off appropriately.

I hate to be cynical, but if this is truly the end of this series, it's a shame. With Netflix severing their relationship with Marvel, it's a race now to burn off the remaining shows they have left. After Iron Fist only getting 10 episodes, I was hoping this show would stick to that as well. At least the 13 episodes didn't feel too long in the tooth like past series.

If I had one gripe, I really wish we could have seen Matt back in the Daredevil costume. It appears here, but not in the manner we were hoping for.

If you haven't seen this already, be sure to check it out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zack Snyder's Justice League

The moment has come that some had clamored for. The moment I never wanted to see happen. Let me start by saying this. I don't like that this exists because it validates all the toxic fan boys, angry over how Justice League turned out, who cried out for the Snyder's original vision of his movie. I hate that public pressure made this happen. If only people like this would use their power for good. How about more representation? How about better story telling? No, give me that thing that I don't have because I'm going to bully you for it. I love comics, but the community surrounding them can be very toxic and I hate that. I feel like this movie is the manifestation of that. Clearly I have a lot of feelings before even coming into this movie. I will try to be as objective as possible, but remember, these are my opinions and I will feel what I feel. To prep me, I took the crazy step of re-watching the theatrical release of this movie first, so I can have something to compare...

The Batman

When I heard this movie was announced a few years ago, I rolled my eyes pretty hard. Here we are with yet ANOTHER Batman movie. We were starting to get diminishing returns with this franchise. I get that they want to keep trying to make money, but maybe we need to let Batman take a rest. Then I watched this movie and I take it all back. I only saw this a week ago, so I'm still in hot take mode, but this is EASILY one of the best Batman movies I have ever seen. Right now, I have Dark Knight first, this movie second and the 1989 Batman movie coming in at number 3. There are just so many things this movie does right. It is almost a master class in how you juggle multiple villains. We also get to see Batman be, *GASP* a detective and try to solve a crime. Not in the ham fisted ways that we've seen in the past either.  In no particular order, let me talk about what I loved about this movie. First of all, we don't have to get an origin story about Bruce Wayne/Batman. It's a s...

The Inevitable Best and Worst List of 2020 - Part I

I think we can all agree that 2020 has been a crap year. I don't think I have anything else to say that could more accurately capture that. Instead of focusing on all of that, let's get to my Best and Worst List of 2020. There was a pause in the comic industry at the beginning of the pandemic and then things picked back up. So even in the industry it was unprecedented. In trying to think back on this year with my old man brain, I will try to summon up my memories to capture them here. I do know that my reading of Marvel Comics has continued to go up, while the number of DC titles have diminished to only really sticking with the Trinity of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. Outside of Far Sector by N.K. Jemisin, I'm out of DC for now. I continue to read more and more independent comics from the other companies such as Image, IDW, Boom!Studios, TKO Studios etc. I even found myself funding a number of Kickstarter projects this year to support black creators. This year, I even ...