Skip to main content

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

I know it's been a few weeks since I watched this. It should tell you a lot that I'm just now writing about it. I just didn't feel compelled to talk about it at all. This movie didn't move me in the way they were hoping for. Will I elaborate? You know I will.

Let me sum up my thoughts on this movie and the Ant-Man movies in general. Ant-Man was always the fun little side adventures that Marvel cooked up. No one asked for it, but we all believed we cared because we like Paul Rudd so much and we're just glad he's in the Marvel Universe. His previous two movies were fun heist movies and I legitimately liked Ant-Man & The Wasp. This movie, I didn't like at all. I didn't hate it, but I didn't fully enjoy it either. I was actually kind of bored with it and this movie kind of broke me.

This movie follows the Marvel Cinematic Universe playbook to a T. And that's the problem. This movie made me realize how tired I am of the Marvel Movie formula. I am tired of wise-cracking heroes. I'm tired of them being all jokey for the whole movie up until the climax when they have to get serious. I'm tired of them taking a team of people and splitting them up for asinine reasons, just so they can assemble at the end. It is hard to see team dynamics, when the team is hardly ever together. So then you tell us instead of show us.

Also, I feel like they keep trying to make fetch happen with Ant-Man. Admittedly, he shouldn't be carrying his own movie. He's not compelling enough. But they keep trying to put him at the center of all the important events and I'm tired of it. Let him be a side character in the Avengers movies or something and let that be it. We've seen enough of him to know who he is. Better yet, relegate him to a series on Disney+. That way you can tell us about his life in any way that you want.

For a movie that is so special effects heavy, they do not look great here. M.O.D.O.K. looks terrible. Every time he showed up, I'm immediately taken out of the movie. I don't care they changed his origin for this. I just care that he looks stupid. I know that is saying a lot because the comic book version is also stupid looking. Should tell you something, Marvel. All that glitters isn't gold.

Also, they say the "Quantum Realm" but the way the world is laid out, just say we're going to an alien planet and be done. I feel like they REALLY want this to be the Negative zone, but they didn't have the rights back when this movie was probably conceived.

Anyway, this movie is completely predictable. Jonathan Majors is fantastic and he is on a different level than the rest of the cast in this movie. Sure, he's the next big bad. I just hate that Ant-Man had to be used as the stepping stone to get there. Let's move on to Phase 5, Marvel. You had your fun experimenting with Phase 4. You unfortunately forgot to include us on that ride.

Watch this on Disney+ if you want. You lose nothing by not doing it. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zack Snyder's Justice League

The moment has come that some had clamored for. The moment I never wanted to see happen. Let me start by saying this. I don't like that this exists because it validates all the toxic fan boys, angry over how Justice League turned out, who cried out for the Snyder's original vision of his movie. I hate that public pressure made this happen. If only people like this would use their power for good. How about more representation? How about better story telling? No, give me that thing that I don't have because I'm going to bully you for it. I love comics, but the community surrounding them can be very toxic and I hate that. I feel like this movie is the manifestation of that. Clearly I have a lot of feelings before even coming into this movie. I will try to be as objective as possible, but remember, these are my opinions and I will feel what I feel. To prep me, I took the crazy step of re-watching the theatrical release of this movie first, so I can have something to compare...

Batman Returns - Retro Review

*Editors note: I wrote this over a year ago and didn't get around to posting it. I'm not editing any of my past tense because what fun would that be. Imagine I posted this in 2024. ** A year or two ago, I tried to convince my wife (and myself), that Batman Returns was a Christmas movie. I insisted we watch it, holding this movie in high regard from my childhood. We never finished it then, but a few weeks ago, we did. Let me tell you, your childhood can lie to you. Nostalgia is a potent drug. It makes you forget things. Halfway through the movie, all I could think is, "This movie is so damn stupid." Or "I think I hate this movie." I forgot that maybe a decade ago, I did this same exercise, fooling myself into thinking this was a worthy successor to Batman. It isn't. It's not close. I'm going to get into my reasoning for this. If I were to describe this movie with one word, it'd be bizzare. After the success of the first movie, it's like Wa...

The Inevitable Best and Worst List of 2024 - Part II

Let's carry on with Part II of my year in review. Now we get on to favorite writers, mini-series, events and favorite series and whatevers. Favorite Writer of 2024 Bryan Hill (Blade, Blade: Red Band, Ultimate Black Panther) - I can't put my finger on it, but I think it's because I didn't expect to enjoy these Blade series as much as I did and that is a tribute to the writing. Truthfully, what do we REALLY know about Blade outside of his movies. He's a blank canvas for anyone to write on and I'm glad he's getting a little more love this year. Yes, he was also involved in that Bloodhunt Event you'll hear me mention below, but Bryan Hill wasn't writing that. The most important piece of work this year though, is his Ultimate Black Panther run. I railed in the past about who I think I should write the character, but with this book he has changed my mind. With the Ultimate Universe, it allows him to be free and not be constrained by 40 years of continuity....