Skip to main content

Venom


I saw this movie weeks ago and yet I haven't even written down my thoughts on it. I can assure you that I blocked out most of this movie in my mind, so this review will be short. So congrats reader, you won't have to deal with me rambling on and on.

So, Venom. Where do I even begin with this movie? I went in expecting it to be bad. It met those expectations and exceeded them. Oh wait, that makes it sound good. What I mean to say is, it was worse than I thought.

This movie is bad, in case I wasn't clear. I didn't want this movie to exist and despite the easter eggs they leave, I do not want a sequel to this. It felt like a late 90's to early 00's bad action movie. With the budget of a modern movie.

It tries to toe the line between serious drama, horror, action and low brow comedy and it really fails at all of them. In this movie, it is hard to root for Eddie Brock (Tom Hardy). You are told he is a great reporter, but in what you see, he is not. Then we watch his life fall part, mind you, by his own hands. All because he follows the trope of "I'm always right cause I trust my GUT". You don't really take any pleasure in watching all the dominoes fall in the wrong way for this guy.  Tom Hardy tries his best with the material he is given, but there was no helping this. The dialogue is bad.

In this day and age, the special effects are okay. Not great, but not completely terrible. Venom looks like Venom, but given how this story is in the movie, there is no logical sense as to why he would be Spider-Man like. They do avoid having him web-swinging and things like that, but they try to shoe horn the Venom you know into this movie.

Finally, you have your mustache twirling villain, but you also get a couple of other sub villains (MORE evil symbiote), so I guess Venom is your hero by default? His motivations are faulty at best anyway.

I should also mention that the end credits song is performed by Eminem. Listen to about a minute of that and you get all you need to know about this movie and should affirm your reason to not watch this.

Avoid this movie at all costs and do something better with your life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zack Snyder's Justice League

The moment has come that some had clamored for. The moment I never wanted to see happen. Let me start by saying this. I don't like that this exists because it validates all the toxic fan boys, angry over how Justice League turned out, who cried out for the Snyder's original vision of his movie. I hate that public pressure made this happen. If only people like this would use their power for good. How about more representation? How about better story telling? No, give me that thing that I don't have because I'm going to bully you for it. I love comics, but the community surrounding them can be very toxic and I hate that. I feel like this movie is the manifestation of that. Clearly I have a lot of feelings before even coming into this movie. I will try to be as objective as possible, but remember, these are my opinions and I will feel what I feel. To prep me, I took the crazy step of re-watching the theatrical release of this movie first, so I can have something to compare...

The Batman

When I heard this movie was announced a few years ago, I rolled my eyes pretty hard. Here we are with yet ANOTHER Batman movie. We were starting to get diminishing returns with this franchise. I get that they want to keep trying to make money, but maybe we need to let Batman take a rest. Then I watched this movie and I take it all back. I only saw this a week ago, so I'm still in hot take mode, but this is EASILY one of the best Batman movies I have ever seen. Right now, I have Dark Knight first, this movie second and the 1989 Batman movie coming in at number 3. There are just so many things this movie does right. It is almost a master class in how you juggle multiple villains. We also get to see Batman be, *GASP* a detective and try to solve a crime. Not in the ham fisted ways that we've seen in the past either.  In no particular order, let me talk about what I loved about this movie. First of all, we don't have to get an origin story about Bruce Wayne/Batman. It's a s...

The Inevitable Best and Worst List of 2020 - Part I

I think we can all agree that 2020 has been a crap year. I don't think I have anything else to say that could more accurately capture that. Instead of focusing on all of that, let's get to my Best and Worst List of 2020. There was a pause in the comic industry at the beginning of the pandemic and then things picked back up. So even in the industry it was unprecedented. In trying to think back on this year with my old man brain, I will try to summon up my memories to capture them here. I do know that my reading of Marvel Comics has continued to go up, while the number of DC titles have diminished to only really sticking with the Trinity of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. Outside of Far Sector by N.K. Jemisin, I'm out of DC for now. I continue to read more and more independent comics from the other companies such as Image, IDW, Boom!Studios, TKO Studios etc. I even found myself funding a number of Kickstarter projects this year to support black creators. This year, I even ...