Skip to main content

Comic TV Show Round Up

I realized we are a few months into the new season of TV shows and I have yet to talk about all the comic book based shows out there. I don't want to make this a long post, so I will just give some quick thoughts about the deep well of shows that are out there.

Flash - Continuing the fun of the first season.  They keep bringing in more villains from the DC Universe and are now already touching on Earth-2 stuff. Also, the core team is still very likeable. It remains one of my favorite shows.

Arrow - This show has already having a much stronger showing than what we saw in Season 3. The team is now a fully costumed, functioning unit. This show has already brought in other DC characters. We just had an episode with Constantine! There has also been a teasing of Mr. Terrific. I still do not like the Felicity/Oliver relationship. I never would have shipped that, but there's nothing I can do about it.

Supergirl - I covered my thoughts on this in a previous post. I very much enjoy this show so far, but we're only two eps in.

Walking Dead - This show still frustrates me. I feel like every episode is built on what "cool" zombie effect they want to use and then they write a story around some contrived way to use it. Carol is a certifiable bad ass and holds the title of best character. This sounds like a weird complaint, but I am so tired of forests. At this point, I'm going to be hard to please no matter what they do. The shock value of this show is what keeps me coming back.

Fear the Walking Dead - I bring this up here because it is a spin off show of a comic book based show. Long story short, this first season was hot garbage. It was full of unlikeable characters doing stupid things.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The sooner Marvel stops trying to cram Inhumans down our throats, the happier I will be. This show has been better this season. I still think a lot of the sets look cheap and I don't like the way this show is filmed.  It looks like it was filmed on cheap cameras. That distracts from my enjoyment of the show. If I'm being honest, if this wasn't a Marvel show, I would have given up already.

iZombie - I have yet to watch this show. I want to, but you can see I already have a full plate as it is. Given my love of Veronica Mars, I will have to in the future.

Gotham - I have not watched the second season at all, nor do I plan to. I suffered through season one and I figured it was best to not make myself suffer through something I was not enjoying.

In a few weeks, we'll have Jessica Jones and I will do my best to binge watch that and share my thoughts.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zack Snyder's Justice League

The moment has come that some had clamored for. The moment I never wanted to see happen. Let me start by saying this. I don't like that this exists because it validates all the toxic fan boys, angry over how Justice League turned out, who cried out for the Snyder's original vision of his movie. I hate that public pressure made this happen. If only people like this would use their power for good. How about more representation? How about better story telling? No, give me that thing that I don't have because I'm going to bully you for it. I love comics, but the community surrounding them can be very toxic and I hate that. I feel like this movie is the manifestation of that. Clearly I have a lot of feelings before even coming into this movie. I will try to be as objective as possible, but remember, these are my opinions and I will feel what I feel. To prep me, I took the crazy step of re-watching the theatrical release of this movie first, so I can have something to compare...

The Batman

When I heard this movie was announced a few years ago, I rolled my eyes pretty hard. Here we are with yet ANOTHER Batman movie. We were starting to get diminishing returns with this franchise. I get that they want to keep trying to make money, but maybe we need to let Batman take a rest. Then I watched this movie and I take it all back. I only saw this a week ago, so I'm still in hot take mode, but this is EASILY one of the best Batman movies I have ever seen. Right now, I have Dark Knight first, this movie second and the 1989 Batman movie coming in at number 3. There are just so many things this movie does right. It is almost a master class in how you juggle multiple villains. We also get to see Batman be, *GASP* a detective and try to solve a crime. Not in the ham fisted ways that we've seen in the past either.  In no particular order, let me talk about what I loved about this movie. First of all, we don't have to get an origin story about Bruce Wayne/Batman. It's a s...

Batman Returns - Retro Review

*Editors note: I wrote this over a year ago and didn't get around to posting it. I'm not editing any of my past tense because what fun would that be. Imagine I posted this in 2024. ** A year or two ago, I tried to convince my wife (and myself), that Batman Returns was a Christmas movie. I insisted we watch it, holding this movie in high regard from my childhood. We never finished it then, but a few weeks ago, we did. Let me tell you, your childhood can lie to you. Nostalgia is a potent drug. It makes you forget things. Halfway through the movie, all I could think is, "This movie is so damn stupid." Or "I think I hate this movie." I forgot that maybe a decade ago, I did this same exercise, fooling myself into thinking this was a worthy successor to Batman. It isn't. It's not close. I'm going to get into my reasoning for this. If I were to describe this movie with one word, it'd be bizzare. After the success of the first movie, it's like Wa...