Skip to main content

Kevin Book Review - Marvel Comics: The Untold Story

Buy your copy today!
I'm going to do something I haven't done on this blog yet. A book review! Before you get all excited and think I'm cultured, I'm sure you already saw the title of this post. Of course it's a book about comic books. I'll try to be as eloquent as possible, since we're taking care of serious business here.

What we have here is an unauthorized look behind the history of Marvel Comics. This book is built on more than a hundred interviews the author, Sean Howe, had with many of the professionals that worked at Marvel Comics over the years.

I was completely engrossed in this book, but as I was reading it I kept thinking whether I would recommend this book to my non-comic friends. I'm leaning slightly towards no. Let me explain why. The audience for this book is clearly fans of comic books. The majority of the stories hinge on your working knowledge of the creators with each turn of the page. There are ends of chapters that end with a cliffhanger along the lines of something like, "And the person who submitted the finished pages was a young [insert creator here]". That's good for me, but a normal person will not get why that's significant.

This book does not take time to explain why each creator is significant within the industry. Sure it will talk about how someone was able to write a book so long because they had clout, but you won't know the cultural impact their work had or why fans hold it in such reverence. I think that's a trapping of the book that it was not be able to avoid. So to enjoy this book on many levels, you will need to do some research.

As a story about a company that has more brand recognition than ever before, it is completely fascinating. I did not realize how much of the creative process hinged on the ability of the artist when it came to the early 60's and 70's. I totally see now why creators such as Jack Kirby was increasingly bitter through the back half of his career. You know it's sad when one of the creators of Superman is relegated to being just an editor, just so he can pay the bills.

One of the main through-lines of this book is how many of the creators put their hearts and souls into creating characters, only to get nothing in return. The cutthroat way Marvel treated their creators is very oft putting. I understand that while you work for a big company like this, anything you create belongs to the company. As you read, you see a trend where artists begin to hold back and put their true passions into creator owned books. You also get a glimpse into the very ugly legal battles that ensue.

If you were ever wondering whether these creators were on drugs when creating all these stories, guess what? They were. Were there tales of office politics? Of course there were. For the comic fan, the people involved is what makes this truly interesting reading.

My only real gripe with this book as a comic book fan is this. A lot of space is given to Marvel from it's inception to the early 80's. The era when I started reading was the early 90's until now. That was the stuff I wanted to read about and that is glanced over in the last hundred or so pages of the book. That era that was deeply personal to me and it got short shrift.

In the end, this is a very good book that is full of very many fascinating anecdotes. Will you, a normal fan enjoy it? I think so, but you will probably feel lost for most of it. That's why I'm here. Ask me and I would be more than glad to nerd out for you!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zack Snyder's Justice League

The moment has come that some had clamored for. The moment I never wanted to see happen. Let me start by saying this. I don't like that this exists because it validates all the toxic fan boys, angry over how Justice League turned out, who cried out for the Snyder's original vision of his movie. I hate that public pressure made this happen. If only people like this would use their power for good. How about more representation? How about better story telling? No, give me that thing that I don't have because I'm going to bully you for it. I love comics, but the community surrounding them can be very toxic and I hate that. I feel like this movie is the manifestation of that. Clearly I have a lot of feelings before even coming into this movie. I will try to be as objective as possible, but remember, these are my opinions and I will feel what I feel. To prep me, I took the crazy step of re-watching the theatrical release of this movie first, so I can have something to compare...

The Batman

When I heard this movie was announced a few years ago, I rolled my eyes pretty hard. Here we are with yet ANOTHER Batman movie. We were starting to get diminishing returns with this franchise. I get that they want to keep trying to make money, but maybe we need to let Batman take a rest. Then I watched this movie and I take it all back. I only saw this a week ago, so I'm still in hot take mode, but this is EASILY one of the best Batman movies I have ever seen. Right now, I have Dark Knight first, this movie second and the 1989 Batman movie coming in at number 3. There are just so many things this movie does right. It is almost a master class in how you juggle multiple villains. We also get to see Batman be, *GASP* a detective and try to solve a crime. Not in the ham fisted ways that we've seen in the past either.  In no particular order, let me talk about what I loved about this movie. First of all, we don't have to get an origin story about Bruce Wayne/Batman. It's a s...

The Inevitable Best and Worst List of 2020 - Part I

I think we can all agree that 2020 has been a crap year. I don't think I have anything else to say that could more accurately capture that. Instead of focusing on all of that, let's get to my Best and Worst List of 2020. There was a pause in the comic industry at the beginning of the pandemic and then things picked back up. So even in the industry it was unprecedented. In trying to think back on this year with my old man brain, I will try to summon up my memories to capture them here. I do know that my reading of Marvel Comics has continued to go up, while the number of DC titles have diminished to only really sticking with the Trinity of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. Outside of Far Sector by N.K. Jemisin, I'm out of DC for now. I continue to read more and more independent comics from the other companies such as Image, IDW, Boom!Studios, TKO Studios etc. I even found myself funding a number of Kickstarter projects this year to support black creators. This year, I even ...