Skip to main content

Deadpool!!


The comic movie season begins with Deadpool! Let me just say that the other movies have a lot to live up to because this movie was fantastic.

Normally I would spend a paragraph talking about what a Deadpool fan I am and how I've been buying his series off and on for the past fifteen years. I recently stopped because it reached a point of critical mass and the character had become a parody of a parody of a parody of himself. He's become a complete buffoon. Funny, sure, but he borderline obnoxious now.

That is why I am happy that the movie pulled back on that a lot. He still has his quips, but gone are the ridiculous scenarios where he gets various body parts chopped off because he can. He is practically a Looney Tunes character.

Anyways, where was I? Oh right, this movie is really good.

Now comes the specifics. My biggest worry is that this movie would play like a live action cartoon. Although they do go over the top with some of the violence, they showed tremendous restraint in not going too far. The ridiculousness was really saved for the freeway scene which pops in and out of the movie.

Speaking of that freeway scene, I liked how this movie cut back and forth between present day and his origin story. This mixed it up so you don't have to sit through an origin before you get to the stuff you really want to see. I'm okay with this non-linear kind of story telling.

What I also liked is that the big action set pieces bookend the origin stuff in the middle. This movie wasn't all action and actually slowed down to really show you what Wade Wilson went through to become Deadpool. At the heart of this movie, there is a love story that does play out.

Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool is the most dead-on casting I've seen in a super hero since Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. What is also readily apparent is you can see how much fun he had playing this character. It also speaks volumes he tried so hard for so long to get this movie made. That earns him many brownie points. In between the constant quips as Deadpool, he does show some range with how he is before he becomes Deadpool too. Even though his a not so nice person to begin with, you do feel for him and root for him. I think that hinges on the infinite amount of charm that Reynolds brings.

I'll wrap up by saying the humor in this movie is top notch. Just take a look at the opening credits. A lot of humor is pretty meta and that's what adds to the appeal. Shots are taken at the tragic super hero movies of the past that Reynolds was a part of. The fact that they would go there speaks volumes. There are also fourth wall breaking jabs at the budget of the movie, events happening in the movie itself (the Deadpool rap song) and continuity issues with the X-Men franchise as well.

This movie is completely satisfying and it is very much a hard R rating. It will hold up to subsequent viewings, where more jokes may be discovered. Also, knowing that there was a lot of ad-libbing going on, I can only imagine what ended up on the cutting room floor. Hopefully a bulk of it makes it's way into an uncut DVD release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zack Snyder's Justice League

The moment has come that some had clamored for. The moment I never wanted to see happen. Let me start by saying this. I don't like that this exists because it validates all the toxic fan boys, angry over how Justice League turned out, who cried out for the Snyder's original vision of his movie. I hate that public pressure made this happen. If only people like this would use their power for good. How about more representation? How about better story telling? No, give me that thing that I don't have because I'm going to bully you for it. I love comics, but the community surrounding them can be very toxic and I hate that. I feel like this movie is the manifestation of that. Clearly I have a lot of feelings before even coming into this movie. I will try to be as objective as possible, but remember, these are my opinions and I will feel what I feel. To prep me, I took the crazy step of re-watching the theatrical release of this movie first, so I can have something to compare...

The Batman

When I heard this movie was announced a few years ago, I rolled my eyes pretty hard. Here we are with yet ANOTHER Batman movie. We were starting to get diminishing returns with this franchise. I get that they want to keep trying to make money, but maybe we need to let Batman take a rest. Then I watched this movie and I take it all back. I only saw this a week ago, so I'm still in hot take mode, but this is EASILY one of the best Batman movies I have ever seen. Right now, I have Dark Knight first, this movie second and the 1989 Batman movie coming in at number 3. There are just so many things this movie does right. It is almost a master class in how you juggle multiple villains. We also get to see Batman be, *GASP* a detective and try to solve a crime. Not in the ham fisted ways that we've seen in the past either.  In no particular order, let me talk about what I loved about this movie. First of all, we don't have to get an origin story about Bruce Wayne/Batman. It's a s...

The Inevitable Best and Worst List of 2024 - Part II

Let's carry on with Part II of my year in review. Now we get on to favorite writers, mini-series, events and favorite series and whatevers. Favorite Writer of 2024 Bryan Hill (Blade, Blade: Red Band, Ultimate Black Panther) - I can't put my finger on it, but I think it's because I didn't expect to enjoy these Blade series as much as I did and that is a tribute to the writing. Truthfully, what do we REALLY know about Blade outside of his movies. He's a blank canvas for anyone to write on and I'm glad he's getting a little more love this year. Yes, he was also involved in that Bloodhunt Event you'll hear me mention below, but Bryan Hill wasn't writing that. The most important piece of work this year though, is his Ultimate Black Panther run. I railed in the past about who I think I should write the character, but with this book he has changed my mind. With the Ultimate Universe, it allows him to be free and not be constrained by 40 years of continuity....